The Danish Hockey Union honoured FIH World Panel Umpire Henrik Ehlers this weekend. He was rewarded for his years of service both at National and International level by being made a Member of Honour. The President of the Danish Hockey Union, Hans-Peter Hansen, also presented Ehlers with a golden whistle in recognition of his achievements.
The milestones and highlights of Henrik Ehlers umpiring career to date include: -
- International Umpire 3 October 1991
- International Grade 1 Umpire 8 October 1993
- World Panel Umpire 26 January 1996
- 4 Olympic Games – Atlanta (USA) 1996, Sydney (AUS) 2000, Athens (GRE) 2004 & Beijing (CHN) 2008
- 3 World Cups – Utrecht (NED) 1998, Kuala Lumpur (MAS) 2002 & Monchengladbach (GER) 2006
- 3 Champions Trophies – Adelaide (AUS) 1997, Lahore (PAK) 1998 & Amstelveen (NED) 2000
To date he has umpired 175 Internationals (163 Senior and 12 Junior).
Among his greatest moments have been the Olympic final in Beijing (CHN), the World Cup final in Monchengladbach (GER) and the Champions Trophy final in Lahore in front of 50,000 spectators.
In receiving these awards, Henrik Ehlers was also recognised for his efforts in helping to develop new young Danish Umpires. The Danish Hockey Union wishes Henrik the best of luck in the future and hopes to see him in many more Tournaments and finals in the coming years.
Source: Danish Hockey Union, with additional information from FIH