Usage of the Hockey Pitch
ZHA recent activities include
- Organising coaching courses (2006),
- Participating in AfHF development forum (2006)
- Participating in AFH regional umpiring coursers (2006, 2007)
- Participation in AfHF technical seminar (2007)
Once the pitch is completed, Zambia Hockey Association (ZHA) can start to extend its development programme to Lusaka in order to prepare their teams for the 2023 Youth Olympic Games (YOG). Even more Zambia’s aim is to participate in the Africa qualifiers for the YOG (boys and girls) which would be held in 2022 and that these events would provide essential preparation for the Zambian teams for the 2021 AAG.
The general aim is to use FIH, ZHA and AfHF expertise to re-establish hockey in the area of Lusaka and develop hockey to an international standard.
ZHA development plan addresses:
- Governance, administrative and organisational aspects and membership
- The education, training and development of coaches, umpires and technical officials
- Competition structures and plans (local, national, interregional and international)
- Talent identification and the development of national teams
- Facilities and equipment needs
- Preparation for the All African Games in 2021
The following issues will be considered in relation to the usage the hockey pitch:
- Multi functional use of the facility
- Recreational, (Top-) training, (Top-) competition and Education and instruction purposes
- Relationship with the national and local education system
- Hockey to involved in yearly calendar of regional sports activities
- Cost for maintenance
ZHA will prepare a hockey-specific plan (with budget and timeframes) for the
- Establishment of the ZHA headquarter office in Lusaka
- Appointment of Lusaka based Project Manager who will be responsible to execute the hockey development programme, introduce hockey to different schools, set up a club and organise leagues.
- Drawing up for monthly tournaments to include a programme for the National Select teams to train at the Centre.
As part of the development programme it is planned to create a Hockey Academy/School in Zambia. In addition to the financial contribution from the government, one of the FIH’s partners has agreed to support this initiative by pledging a donation towards the establishment and running of the Hockey Academy.
- Appointment of Project Manager
- Extend of hockey development plan to Lusaka
- Re-introduction of hockey in schools
- Identification of new talents
- Education of coaches and umpires